12 August 2008

Funk Soul Brother

"Don't you ever, be sad
Lean on me, when times are bad
When the day comes, and you are down
In a river of trouble, about to drown
Hold on, I'm coming"
- Sam & Dave, "Hold On, I'm Coming." Written by Isaac Hayes & David Porter (1966)


Just wanted to drop my two cents into the kitty... 
We lost a great one the other day. Funk-soul legend Isaac Hayes, 
20 August 1942 — 10 August 2008. Probably best known for his Grammy & Oscar-winning "Theme from Shaft," he also co-wrote two of my favorite songs of all time "Hold On, I'm Coming" and "Soul Man," both recorded by Stax soul group Sam & Dave. He had a great run as "Chef" on South Park, and starred in one of my favorite childhood movies "Escape From New York." His influence stretches across the musical galaxy. He WILL be missed.
KJT - Seattle (2008) Image courtesy of the AP

1 comment:

Lara said...

On my flight back from Denver, the guy sitting next to me was obviously listening to the song on his iPod, and at appropriate moments he couldn't contain himself, I guess, because I kept hearing his high-pitched "Shaft!"

It was cool.