05 November 2008

Historically Happy

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."
- President-elect Barack Obama, 4 November 2008


Humbled. Proud. Hopeful. Relieved. And just so damn happy.

Those are just a few of the emotions I'm feeling this morning after the historic win for Obama. I feel like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland - I can't wipe this big grin off my face. Even the coffee tastes better this morning.

I waited until they called Washington, Oregon, and California and pushed him over the 270 mark before I opened the Jameson. I stepped out on our back deck, took a sip, and looked out over the cityscape of Capitol Hill and downtown Seattle. I could hear cheers and yelling, laughing and celebrating echoing from many different neighborhoods. Impromptu fireworks were being shot off. People were pouring joyously into the streets. Inside, my wife was crying. I asked her what was wrong and she shook her head and said simply, "I'm just so happy." 

I'm just so happy. Yes, that's it in a nutshell. After the disappointment and anger of the 2000 election, and then the feeling of being gutted and assaulted by the 2004 vote, I feel proud of my country again. No one knew just how bad Bush would be in 2000. I was disappointed, and angry that it seemed like he stole the election - but no one knew. The 2004 election was the one that really hurt - to elect him again vindicated all the vile, evil, reprehensible, and stupid decisions he had made up to that point. I felt devastated and betrayed - did that many people really not get it? Or did they not care? I was utterly bewildered.

So now here we are, November 5th, 2008. My president-elect is someone I feel extremely proud to have voted for and I look forward with hope to his presidency.

Again, I must re-iterate my feelings 
on my country here: My America (link)

I think this grin will stick around for a while...
KJT - Seattle (5 Nov 2008)

2 comments:

cae said...

I am purposefully retaining my pessimism/realism: this is government we're talking about, after all. Still, it was hard not to be happy about being wrong about the likely election results and, in turn, a country I've spent the last 8 years or so feeling utterly alien in.

What just killed me was a comment I heard from my mom last night; a comment I've heard many, many, many times before -from disenchanted lefties!

"They're being so underhanded! They're stealing the election! Making it difficult, if not just downright impossible for Republicans to vote! If he wins, we're talking about leaving the country. Moving to an island somewhere."

Hmmm, if all the die-hard, closeted, knee-jerk Republicans left the country ... aaaaah, I'm dreamin'.

KJT said...

I know the feeling. We were pricing houses in Costa Rica for the past few months... just in case.