03 July 2008

Soaked to the Bone

"Be careful what you wish for, you may receive it."
- Anonymous, cited in "The Monkey's Paw" by W. W. Jacobs (1903)


Well, I'm certainly no longer in a "state of inelegance" from the heat. Now I'm inelegant because I resemble a drowned rat. This morning might have been the second hardest rain I've ever ridden in. 

Thinking ahead, I rode my "rain bike" (the one with fenders) home last night, because the weather reports said we might have isolated thunderstorms today. 

For once they were right on the money. Thunder, lightning, and it was pissing rain. The ride from the house to the train station downtown takes all of 10 or 11 minutes. In that time I was thoroughly drenched. After drip-drying a bit during the 15-minute trip south to my stop in Tukwila, it was then back on the bike. The rain was just a gentle sprinkle as I started the ride from the station to the Raleigh offices. Two blocks into it, and the skies opened up. It dumped, and then dumped some more. It was actually pretty comical - the trail looked like a creek. At the office I had to wring my gloves out. Twice. Now I'm just hoping everything dries by 5pm.

Oh yeah, fenders and rain gear are a joke in that kind of downpour.
KJT - Seattle to Kent, WA (2008)

No comments: