23 December 2008

11 Inches... and counting...

"Oh! the snow, the beautiful snow,
Filling the sky and earth below,
Over the housetops, over the street,
Over the heads of the people you meet.
Dancing,
Flirting,
Skimming along."

- J.W. (Joseph Warren) Watson, "Beautiful Snow" (1870)





Eleven inches and counting... that's how much snow we have received from the series of storms that began on the 13th of December. The last two days have been clear and cold (hardly any melting), but we are supposed to get another storm starting late tonight that should last through Wednesday. Maybe another 1 to 6 inches in Seattle. Truly bizarre weather. The dogs and I are having a blast. The Seattle D.O.T. less so. (Perhaps they should try plowing, no?)

And then the temperature is supposed to jump a bit and it looks like we'll get rain or freezing rain through and past Christmas. That, combined with all this snow that hasn't gone anywhere yet, brings to mind one word: flooding. If all this accumulation melts in a relatively short period of time it's going to be chaos. Basements will flood, sewers and and storm drains will back up - we'll be swamped. Reminds me of a time from 1996, the year I moved out here, and another big storm we got that Christmas... I'll have to blog about that at a later time... but it's an ugly story - in the sewer sense of the word.

Glad we live at the top of a hill...
KJT - Seattle (2008)
(That last picture was taken by Stacie.)

3 comments:

cae said...

No sign of snow here, across the sound, but my fingies, dey crost! C'mon ol' man wintah - blow me foithah flakage!

Heather said...

Your photos are beautiful - I am so jealous. I could walk outside in shorts right now. But I refuse to because it only serves to remind me I won't be having a white Christmas. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

KJT said...

Thanks WW! And we've already got an inch or so more this morning... the madness continues!

Kt